Sunday, February 28, 2016

Interview With Author Ashley Capes

   I had the wonderful opportunity to interview Ashley Capes, author of The Bone Mask Trilogy, The Fairy Wren, and other works. His latest book, The Amber Isle , is set to be released on March 1, 2016, and he shared with me more about it.


Tell us a little bit about yourself.
Author Ashley Capes
   I’m Ashley and I’m a poet, novelist and teacher from Oz. I usually write under the speculative umbrella; fantasy, magic realism, supernatural and occasionally suspense. I find it pretty hard to stick to one subset – which means I’m never bored at least!
   I also love volleyball, haiku and Studio Ghibli – although Cowboy Bebop is fast becoming my new favourite animated work. Over the last two years fighting for free time to read more, as I miss it so much.
What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?
   The Amber Isle is my latest and it was inspired by my love of mysteries and the uncovering of secrets, I think. The main character, Never, is looking for the truth about his curse and the truth about his name – and within that, there’s also a search for ancient civilizations – so in that respect there’s probably a touch of Indiana Jones in there (except Never is probably more flippant than Indy.)

How would you categorize your book?
   It’s epic fantasy without the epic page count, perhaps? I was aiming for big themes and sweeping changes (by the end of the series certainly) but also books that were faster to read and – I hope – importantly for readers, quicker for me to release. I’m hoping to put these books out quarterly, rather than every year and a half or so, like my longer books. There’s also an action/adventure feel to The Amber Isle that I hope puts in a lot of fun too.

Introduce us to your series character. What is it about this character that appeals to you as a writer?
   ‘Never’ is a bit of a rogue and a guy who’s been around long enough to be a little bitter – but he hasn’t lost his humour yet. He uses it both as a weapon and to diffuse risky situations, which made him a lot of fun to write. He’s very driven too; so he always has a clear goal. I like writing these sorts of characters because they know what they want – it also allows me to throw all kinds of stumbling blocks in front of them :D

Tell us more about the cover design.  How involved were you with creating the cover?
https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Isle-Fantasy-Novella-Never-ebook/dp/B01BZJ1SJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1465647030&sr=1-1&keywords=the+amber+isle
Available Now

  Only at concept stage, really – it’s for the best too, as I’m not much of a painter :)

   For instance, with The Amber Isle, I asked artist Lin Hsiang to place Never within the Amber Isle itself and mentioned only that Never wore knives and was carrying a lantern. I provided a few details of what I imagined for the background (like the honeycomb-like walls of the Isle) then there was a little bit of chatting after various draft images and then Lin did the rest and I’m thrilled with the result!
   For the text, I asked VividCovers to help me as again, the layout of text is not one of my skills – and we went through various fonts, sizes and arrangements. Because there was a lot of text to fit on the image, I like how the title catches the eye and the other elements become more visible once you looked closer and again, I’m really happy with the end result. It’s actually one of the most thrilling aspects of being an author, for me – seeing an artist bring your world to life.

Tell us something about your book that isn't mentioned in the synopsis.
   Got one! The synopsis doesn’t mention one of the characters he meets along the way – which is Luis, a spear-wielding treasure hunter whose optimism masks a troubled past of his own, something readers will learn more about as the books are released.

What is next for you?
   Next is to get back to reading! I’ve got such a pile that if it fell, I’d be buried. One book I’m particularly looking forward to is #3 in the Dresden Files. I’ve read the first two but had to put off the next one for months now, it’s depressing! So, starting next week – I’m reading more, come hail or shine.

Update:  Since our interview, Ashley has released Forest of Eyes, the second in The Book of Never series.  His third book, River God, is set to be released in July along with a bundle option for the first three novellas in this series.



https://www.amazon.com/Amber-Isle-Fantasy-Novella-Never-ebook/dp/B01BZJ1SJQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1465647030&sr=1-1&keywords=the+amber+isle
Available Now
                                                                  
https://www.amazon.com/River-God-Fantasy-Novella-Never-ebook/dp/B01GKE8R2M/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1465649287&sr=1-1&keywords=River+God+Ashley+Capes
Coming in July



You can find Ashley Capes at the following places:
http://www.cityofmasks.com/
http://www.cityofmasks.com/book-of-never.html
https://twitter.com/ash_capes
http://www.amazon.com/Ashley-Capes/e/B004H6WC4K
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5806251.Ashley_Capes


You can find the artist Lin Hsiang at:

http://linhsiang.deviantart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment